Heli Hike A helicopter ride and a hike on the ice. The ultimate glacier experience.
Franz Josef Glacier is 12km long and fed by a massive 20 square km snowfield at the top of the Southern Alps. It features ice pinnacles as high as multi-story buildings, deep crevasses and stunning, pristine blue ice. It’s all on show and the most dynamic glacier in New Zealand is accessible to you via one of the most exhilarating experiences in the world. First witness the majesty of the beautiful ice formation from the air as your helicopter takes to the skies above the glacier. Then descend onto the glacier itself and set foot on the ice. Your heli hike guide will then lead you through some of the most stunning ice formations, immersing you in the world of the Franz Josef Glacier. To touch the ice and breathe in the fresh alpine air is a unique experience and one which you will never forget.
YOUR GLACIER GUIDE
The Helicopter line offers the Franz Josef Heli hike in conjunction with Franz Josef Glacier Guides who have been operating since 1990 and can trace their heritage back 100 years. Your professional guide will lead you into the most spectacular icefall terrain that is usually seen only by experienced mountaineers. With an excellent safety record, rigid assessments, and using exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is assured.
HELI HIKE HIGHLIGHTS
- Scenic helicopter flight to Franz Josef icefall
- Glacier landing and pickup
- Approx 2 hour hike amongst glacial ice formations
- Professional and experienced guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, waterproof jacket and pants)
- Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one)
- A sense of fun and adventure!
- October to April 9.30am, 12 noon and 2.30pm
- May to September 11am and 1.30pm
- Moderate fitness required
- Minimum age is 8 years
Our Heli hike trips are weather dependent. We will do our best to accommodate you but occasionally cancellation may be unavoidable.
Departing Franz Josef
Franz Josef Heli Hike
Duration 3 hours
$425 per adult
Discover up-close the magnificent natural phenomenon of the stunning West Coast glaciers. This two hour walking adventure is suitable for people of average fitness and above.
Prices are in New Zealand dollars and include Goods and Services Tax of 15%. Major credit cards, travellers cheques and foreign currencies are accepted. Please see here for heli-hike child prices. Prices are subject to change without notice. Pricing valid from 1 October 2015 to 30 September 2016.